Think / Able - and Check out My Parkinson's Facebook Page

Think / Able - and Check out My Parkinson's Facebook Page
Thanks for coming by! I appreciate it! Click the picture to follow on to my Facebook Parkinson's Page

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

25 Things the Old Non-Parkinson's Dan Would Do....


Yesterday, I was spending a lot of time thinking about the things that I would say when I speak about Parkinson's related mental health issues in the fall. Simply put, thinking about all of the bad things we Parkies face is a downer, so rather than post that 1 first, I thought I would make a list of all the things I do / did when I'm not having the smack laid down on me by PD.

Mind you, your list might look different than mine, but that's OK. The point is not to think about all of that other junk and focus on life... the good, the must do, atoning for the past, and making something out of the future. Thus, I'm challenging you to ask yourself, "If you could throw Parkinson's in a dumpster after you beat it into submission WWE style, forget you ever had it, but still keep the insights from it, what would you do today?"


In no particular order.

1. I'd think about how, with all this rain, this weekend would be a good time to go and see some waterfalls in the Poconos. Dingman's and Silverthread Falls are accessible on flat boardwalks (wheelchair accessible) with no steps if you're in the northeastern PA area and want to enjoy them.


2. Write my supernatural stories! This reminds me that I also need to get myself registered to sell at Paracon! Time to share my fictional writing with the world.


3. He'd probably play video games, but this Dan is on hiatus from that time waster (since this morning) I have some other stuff to write and goals to accomplish. I can't do that with Charm King going.


4. He would contemplate what class to register for in the fall since he gets one for. Such are the perks of free classes as a job benefit.


5. He'd pose in a goofy fashion for pictures!


6. He'd look to the stars. Even with a cowlick and a t-shirt on under his shirt, he'd have some clue that the world could be his oyster, if he grabbed the bull by the horns!


7. He'd get with the program and send those writing samples to his aunt Toot, who took him on his first plane and limo ride to New York City, way back when. Definitely a yellow and black list of accomplishments accomplishment he needs to make.


8. Like Alfred E. Neuman, he'd say, "What me worry?!"


9. He'd crank some tunes, and sing along with them as he opened the window for all of the world to hear them. Today, I'd be going with this since I was listening to Bowie on the way to work.


10. He'd realize that some days are like this, but tomorrow can be a better day if he wants it to be.


11. He'd be hitting the verticals in training for McAfee Knob.


12. He'd have better fashion sense than blue sneakers and brown pants! Fortunately, Heather is here to help with that now.


13. I still wouldn't be down with Peanuts / Snoopy like my Cub Scout companions were... even if The Great Pumpkin can be compared to Godot.


14. I'd get myself between some trees like a Boy Scout should!


15. I'd find some time to spend with my 4.5 year old nephew Dylan. There's some good reptile stuff coming up in town.


16. I'd get loose as a Christmas goose. First grade and PD rigidity is a drag. I might even try to learn how to break dance (not!)!


17. I'd go and eat a V+S Cheese steak. Actually, I did do that today!


18. I'd finish When Bad Things Happen to Good People, which is more useful for helping myself and others than playing more Gummy Drop.


19. Check in on who's leading Major League Baseball in strikeouts today. The current answer is Aaron Judge, but Joey Gallo, Yoan Moncada, and Giancarlo Stanton are all within 3 whiffs of one another. I'm as big of a fan of homers as the next guy, but put the ball in play people. What would Yogi Berra and Joe DiMaggio say?


20. I'd sleep in if at all possible! Wait! I already did that today, too!


21. I'd get creative and encourage creativity in others as well.


22. I'd remember to definitely call my family!


23. I'd find time to make goofy faces to disrupt otherwise serious photos.


24. I'd keep working on writing down that family history / scanning old pictures.


25. I'd keep up to date with scanning and uploading the new photos, too.


BONUS - I'd remember what family means more often... especially the family in my home. Granted, my wife Heather knows how much I appreciate and love her, but I'd still find more time to do things for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment