Monday, November 14, 2016
185 things I am thankful for....
185 things I am thankful for (an assignment I let my students do for extra credit - they only have to list 100)
1. The chance to overcome the obstacles / disabilities in my life and to be a role model / activist for others.
2. My faith / philosophy in the universe / God
3. My faith / philosophy in myself
4. My marriage to Heather
5. A warm, safe, comfortable and homey house with Heather
6. True love and all the good things it brings
7. My health
8. Hearing (being able to)
9. Seeing (being able to)
10. Smelling (being able to)
11. Touching (being able to)
12. Tasting (being able to)
13. Nature to breathe in and rejoice for life in
14. My parents
15. My nephew / godson Big D
16. My sister
17. My extended family to include Heather’s family
18. Long-term friends like Will and Heidi + Pete + Dale + Alina + Steph+Ken+Rhett+Abel
19. Everyday friends
20. Workplace colleagues
21. My students who work hard to teach me
22. Sharing learning with students
23. Being able to write letters of references.
24. Being the author of multiple books
25. Being literate
26. Great books like the ones on this list - http://www.amazon.com/40-Books-for-People-Who-Want-to-be-Inspired-and-Entertained/lm/R35Z0S1F9YH8RJ/cm_lm_byauthor_title_full
27. Creativity in general
28. Discipline and drive to finish my autobiography Eureka, Nevada, which is too personal to publish
29. Real life inspiration chronicled in said book that convinced me to be a teacher
30. Discipline and drive to write the rest of Intersections and the bravery to print it and the other books I’m currently working on when the time comes
31. Inspiration to write my first non-ghost story for publishing
32. Photography – both pictures I’ve taken and had shared with me.
33. Hiking experiences that I’ve had
34. Bears that I’ve seen – even if only for 10 seconds.
35. Getting rid of my fear of heights long enough to climb over rocks or to descend down over rock piles
36. Being intelligent enough to teach others how to be researchers who can better understand things.
37. A job to pay the bills and do the things I want to do.
38. Teaching opportunities, wherever they may be
39. Being able to donate $ to charities like Make a Wish, United Way, Ronald McDonald House, Michael J. Fox Foundation, and Water Street Ministries
40. The people of the various trail groups who keep paths open
41. Being able to volunteer for organizations like the Standing Stone Trail and Keystone Trails Association
42. Having my aunt Toot in my life, who thinks about me enough to do the church raffle ticket and to bake cookies for me
43. Winning the church raffle and being able to help Heather with bills
44. Food to eat.
45. Clothes to wear.
46. A calm mind that allows me to “purr like a cat” – most of the time
47. My time in the Air Force (with organization and people) because it made me who I am.
48. Being made chowrunner in basic training to learn to speak confidently in front of other people without fear of their reaction
49. Time spent in England for the experiences and travels it allowed me to participate in
50. All of my road trips across America
51. The national parks of America
52. Watching television shows about the canyon descents of Squamish, British Columbia. I may never be able to do that, but I like the vicarious experience, too.
53. The opportunity to be forgiven and to forgive others
54. Christmas get togethers
55. Thanksgiving get togethers
56. The music of Neutral Milk Hotel
57. The music of Polyphonic Spree
58. Other songs to inspire me, mellow me out, or let me rock out
59. Star Wars in all of its many forms
60. Movies in IMAX 3D
61. The Macho Dude (my Yaris)
62. Letchworth State Park
63. Ludlowville Falls and the icicles / hoarfrost that are suspended from the roof of its cave
64. Millions of stars and the Milky Way up in the sky with no light pollution
65. The thought that someday I will go to Bora Bora with Heather
66. The thought that someday I will go to the Native American sites of the Colorado Plateau with Heather – the Great American Petroglyph tour
67. The thought that someday I will go to the Pacific Coast with Heather
68. Waterfalls that I’ve seen and experienced.
69. Waterfalls that I dream of experiencing
70. Frozen waterfalls
71. Being able to safely hike through the water at Sullivan Run to see waterfalls via the stream trail that requires climbing waterfalls
72. The taste of cinnamon
73. The smell of pine forests
74. Warm showers
75. Historical places like the petroglyphs of the Great Gallery and the San Rafael Swell existing in the world.
76. Art is a good thing – if people put their heart and soul into it.
77. Adventures in slot canyons that I have taken and watched
78. 0° sleeping bags and getting to camp outdoors over Halloween weekend as an annual event.
79. My Roger Maris rookie card.
80. My cool prescription sunglasses
81. The Internet
82. Microsoft Office
83. Facebook to keep in touch with people
85. Pepperoni pizza
87. Chocolate iced donuts
89. The elusive chocolate iced donuts with brownie batter inside of them.
90. Jackie Robinson
93. Ghost, cryptid, and alien shows.
94. Raspberry iced tea
95. Red lobster cheddar bay biscuits
96. Great blue herons
97. Mark McGwire’s 55th home run in 1998.
98. Pedro Martinez
99. Ken Burns baseball
100. Bull Durham
101. The fact that I can make a shirt and tie look good (just like Will Smith) – or at least I believe I can
102. A sense of humor and funny television shows to make me laugh.
103. Classic rock music to feel a sense of summer even when it’s still cold out
104. Autumn leaves
105. Spring leaves
106. Humongous mushrooms in weird shapes appearing out of nowhere in the forest
107. Warm summer days that aren’t too hot.
108. Autumn days that are nice and warm enough for wearing a t-shirt.
109. Concerts to feel the musical vibe in person
110. The dental work I’ve recently had done
111. Neurologists who get it right and who give us the tools to move on.
112. The Stockdale Paradox
113. Logotherapy and Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning
114. Squirrels playing in the yard except when they’re taking out cushions
115. The Siesta Zone
116. Decorating for Christmas
117. Being able to do math in my head
118. A sense of wonder
119. The ability to daydream
120. Sam and the opportunity to have “another dad.”
121. Being able to play with dogs at the mall
122. Being able to look at a map and dream of vacations I’ll probably never take.
123. Youtube to live vicariously through other people’s vacations.
124. Scott Brown’s waterfall books.
125. Michael Kelsey’s slot canyon books.
126. The town of Ithaca and all its waterfalls.
127. Being able to marvel at the amazing ability of athletes
128. The motivation of people with obstacles telling us to THINK / ABLE
129. Maturity to deal with real life.
130. A sense of hope and understanding when things get tough.
131. Cheeseburgers with and without bacon
132. The Standing Stone Trail and all its sights and sites
133. Credit cards (for what they were intended)
134. The miracle of airplanes
135. Microwave ovens
136. Refrigeration / cold water / ice
137. My Kindle and the joy of digital readers
138. People who are willing to protect us (cops + military)
140. Medical type people
142. People who work hard to make a difference for others in little ways
143. People who tell us what we need to hear – not just what we want to hear.
144. Whales that jump out of the water at Cape May
145. Our 2012 vacation to Sandals in Jamaica
146. Dreams of a vacation to the Dominican Treehouse Place
147. Sleeping in.
148. Simple freedoms
149. The chance to make a difference for other people
150. Hot dogs
151. My grilled pork chops
152. Warm sweaters
153. My wife’s DIY talents
154. People who believe in me
155. Wifi / 4g for cellphones
156. Indoor plumbing
157. Old school Corvettes
158. Real Jeeps (Wranglers)
159. The movie Contact and the ideas of Carl Sagan
160. The Grateful Dead’s “Box of Rain”
161. Sugar’s “The Act We Act”
162. Tim Delaughter letting me use the Polyphonic Spree’s lyrics in my book
163. Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer”
164. Prince’s “Purple Rain (live)”
165. Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird (live)”
166. Cheese Steaks from V+S
167. The interstate transportation system
168. Being able to get up and do whatever today.
169. The chance to help other people
170. The goofy and joyful laughter of kids
171. The choice to live life
172. Outback’s Alice Springs’ Chicken
173. Aron Ralston’s story
174. Laurence Gonzales’ Deep Survival and Surviving Survival Books
175. My wife’s giant tulip painting
176. Bald eagles in flight at places like Conowingo Dam
177. Migrating snow geese at Middle Creek
178. Movies and books about the triumph of the human soul
180. The writings of Thomas Friedman
181. The writings of Malcolm Gladwell
182. The writings and work of Paul Offit
183. Air travel
184. The chance to be a part of history
185. The view from the Throne Room